Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hatchet - Gary Paulsen


Hatchet – Gary Paulsen

Rating - **** Very Good

Hatchet is an interactive and exiting book about survival in the wilderness. It is by far one of my favorite survival books, mainly because the book is easy to read and the story can really pull you in. 

Hatchet is about a 13-year-old boy named Brian who winds up in a plane crash, alone and with very little food or water. All he has is a brand new hatchet. As the weeks go by without rescue, Brian makes a shelter, learns to fish with a stick, fights a porcupine, survives tornado, make a fire and much more. He also manages to cope with his inner feelings that he has been suppressing before the crash.

I learned many new things about survival in the wild from this book. I learned from his mistakes second hand, therefore I will hopefully remember this story and not have the same issues as he did. One of the most important things I’ve learned from this book is to never ever panic. If you do, your chances of survival will drastically decrease. I might even want to take the book with me when I go out into the wild. Just in case.


Published in New York: Simon Pulse, 2006.




No comments:

Post a Comment