Friday, March 6, 2015

                       Bear Safety - Rich Johnson         David M.

Rating: ****

Whenever I go camping I’m always cautious about where I put my food and how I store it overnight. There’s nothing worse than waking up and realizing that all your food is gone and was taken by raccoons or even worse, a bear.

This article is a very interesting yet important article that I think most outdoor enthusiasts should read. It gives you very important tips on staying safe from bears on the trail but also on the campsite. This article covers everything from where to hang your food, to what you should do in the case of a bear attack. The article gives you very detailed information on how to stay away from bears on the trail and how to avoid a bear attack.

I personally found this article very interesting. It has expanded my knowledge about staying safe from bears. I thought that this article would be helpful to other outdoor ed classes, especially the grade 10 class because it is for most, their introduction to outdoor living. It is very important for students in the class to know these safety measures to prevent confrontation with a bear. Some of the information is also useful in keeping other wildlife away such as raccoons or rodents. This article will make me change my behavior when camping in regards to staying safe from bears and when storing my food overnight.

I highly recommend reading this article for people that aren’t used to camping with lots of wildlife around.

Johnson, Rich. "Bear Safety." Camping Life Magazine. CampingLife, 5 Apr. 2012. Web. 02 Mar. 2015.
Article Link:  http://www.campinglife.com/feature-stories/bear-safety/

2 comments: