Sunday, May 15, 2011

Snowshoeing Essentials for Beginners - Craig Macartney

Rating: *****

Have you ever seen someone snowshoeing: walking along a cliff face, exploring a forrest, or even just hanging out with friends? Have you ever wanted to learn how to do that? If so, then this is the article for you!

The article talks about all of the different techniques in snowshoeing, some of which I found really close to what we learned in class for cross-country skiing. The article goes over moving forward, turning, going uphill, going downhill, and even talks about a condition connected to snowshoeing called "mal de raquette"!

I found this article really helpful because I haven't done much snowshoeing, and the times that I did try, I found it extremely fun, but difficult without the right techniques. I found the article not only helpful, but interesting too. It stayed on topic and covered all of the points that a beginner would really need. The article even went right into snowshoeing and gave me a glimpse into the parts of snowshoeing that couldn't be so pleasant, like mal de raquette. This is why I rated the article as five stars.

I would reccomend this article to anyone who wants to or does snowshoe, as the article might hold some techniques that you haven't yet seen before and want to try out. The article made me really wonder about what other techniques some of the winter sports might share. I noticed that a lot of the terms that the article mentioned that had to do with snowshoeing were in french, which made me think that perhaps the sport was pioneered my french-speaking peoples.

Macartney, Craig. "Snowshoeing Essentials for Beginners." Ottawa Outdoors. Fall/Winter 2009/2010. Page 5. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment