Wednesday, May 25, 2011

TED Talks - 5 Dangerous things you should let your kids do

Rating: ****

In this Ted Talk the speaker, Gever Tulley, is explaining a couple excerts from his book "50 dangerous things you should let your kids do". He explains how society today is conformed to making things we see today "too safe". From common household items such as toothpaste, to games for 3-5 year olds, anything you see today could be deemed unsafe. His 5 examples of dangerous things you should let your kids do are playing with fire, owning a pocketknife, throw a spear, deconstruct appliances and drive a car. He lists numerous ways on how just performing these simple tasks, can develop into life skills that children will need in the future.

This TED Talk first caught my attention by its name. At first I had thought I had misread it but after reading it through a 2nd time I knew I just had to watch this video. My overall impression of this video was that the speaker certainly knew what he was talking about. Having an inner child myself, I agreed with just about everything he had to say. I certainly wish I was given a pocketknife for my 8th birthday instead of some lousy clothes. He incorperated humour into his presentation by means of his slideshow, but he was able to keep his presentation professional when need be. The only thing I would say I disliked was the speakers tone of presentation. He seemed to stutter and lose his control of the audience hear or there but it was a great presentation overall.


Tulley, Gever. "5 dangerous things you should let your kids do". TED Talks. March 2007 Web. December 2007 Retrieved from: http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulley_on_5dangerous_things_for_kids.html

No comments:

Post a Comment