Sunday, November 6, 2011

New Year's Resolutions for the Backcountry: Michael Waddell

Rating **

With the holiday season right around the corner, Michael Waddell’s title for a New Year’s resolution in the backcountry caught my eye. The author’s article is personal and explains five resolutions he would like to make in the New Year.

Waddell’s first resolution will be to spend more time in the backcountry. He explains that no matter how much time he spends outside, it never seems to be enough. I loved this idea as a resolution, and understand the idea that being outside is something you can’t get enough of.

For resolution number two, Waddell decides to upgrade his gear preceding his third; learning to properly use his new gear. I admired Waddell’s ability to note that his equipment may not be as safe as it should be. Also, even though Waddell is an outdoor enthusiast, he understands that something can only be used if you’ve taken the time to learn how to use it. I can relate to Waddell’s resolution because I learn new things about the outdoors and outdoor gear throughout the school year. He will be able to feel much more confident knowing he can use all of his equipment to full potential.

Waddell’s next resolution is to learn a backcountry skill. I loved this idea and his brainstorming of which activities he may like to try. During Outdoor Ed, I’ve had the experience of cross-country skiing, orienteering, rock climbing and we’ve started mountain biking; all exercises I had never tried before. The author also touches on skills such as CPR, map reading, and knots.

Waddell wraps up his article with his fifth resolution; to bring someone new into the backcountry. The author explains the feeling of watching a sunset or admiring the outdoors and craving to share the view with others. Although Waddell’s article was not perfectly written or educational, I admired the author’s idea of a resolution unlike others. Whereas most people I know will be trying to lose ten pounds or putting a stop to a bad habit this New Year, I plan to steal a few of Waddell’s
resolutions and make them my own.

Waddell, Michael/Pursue the Outdoors/Outdoor Articles/New Year's Resolutios for the Backcountry/Jan 26,2005/web/november 6,2011/ http://www.pursuetheoutdoors.com/articles/2005/01/26/new-years-resolutions-for-the-backcountry/

No comments:

Post a Comment