Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lewis Pugh Swims the North Pole

Rating* * * *

The TED talk I picked was motivational and inspiring. It is all about a man who swam the longest distance ever swam in the North pole. This man shows the impossible is possible if you believe and always try your hardest.

Seven years ago Lewis Pugh followed his dream and went to the Arctic to swim and has kept going back ever since. Day one of his first trip he left the harbour with his team in the cold grey weather. By day six they had reached the North Pole and by day seven Lewis was ready to go in the water. As the water was 1.7 degrees Celsius, Lewis went straight in and began his swim. By the time he had finished swimming he had done one kilometer in 18 minutes and 50 seconds swimming against the current. He has said that after the swim he could not feel his hands for 4 months.

Lewis wanted to show people how climate change is occurring and how 23% of the ice cover has already melted away. He wants people to be more aware of what is going on with the environment.

This Ted talk has shown me to never give up on my dreams and to always try until I can't try anymore. Its taught me that anything and everything is possible if you try. I really liked this Ted talk and I recommend it to other people to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment