Monday, June 18, 2012

ODE RESOURCE ASSIGNMENT


I found a fairly new cookbook in the kitchen at my house the other day and thought it would be perfect to share with fellow Outdoor Ed students at Cairine. Those of you who will be taking PAD30 next year will be baking for the class in a Dutch oven assignment. This is a very helpful Dutch oven cookbook called “Dutch Oven Cooking: With International Oven Society Champion Terry Lewis”. Terry Lewis offers mostly tasty deserts, but also meals in a collection of Dutch oven recipes for those with no experience and those with a lot of experience under their belt.

What I really liked about the book was that it offered so many recipes for beginners, like myself, from Easy Cobblers (wish I had the book for my assignment), to Honey Rolls and Oatmeal Chocolate Cake. Not only that, but the book also includes many recipes for moderate and advanced oven users. It really includes everyone. Personally, I find the desert recipes much more appealing and they call for less ingredients as well. It is clear that this cookbook is geared more towards camping than in the kitchen. The book has great directions that seem easy to follow, although I have not tried any of the recipes myself, my mom has tried two, and both turned out amazing. I believe she made the Carmel Pumpkin Cheesecake and the Oatmeal Chocolate cake, yum! I think both of these would be a hit in future Outdoor Ed Dutch oven assignments, as long as I can try some too.

I think this cookbook will be very useful as most of the students are beginners, and a large portion of the book is directed to Dutch oven beginners. I think this book has some unique and very delicious baked goods that seem to turn out very well for my family. I recommend someone looks for a recipe in this book in the future. Terry Lewis is a very good recipe source as he is a two-time winner of the World Championship Cook-offs by the International Dutch Oven Society and judges Dutch Oven cooking competitions as well.

Rating ****


Lewis, Terry. Dutch Oven Cookin: With INternational OVen Society Champion Terry Lewis". March 5, 2011. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment