Wednesday, January 16, 2013

TED Talk 1


TED Talk: What fear can teach us
By: Karen Thompson Walker
Rating: ****+* (amazing)

This TED Talk by Karen Walker is absolutely amazing, I thought it was so moving and left me pondering. “Fear is ... a kind of unintentional storytelling that we are all born knowing how to do”. This is one of many thought filled, gripping and moving lines Karen uses during her speech, that I found really shook me to the core.

Through out the TED Talk Karen refers back to the story of the whaleship the Essex, she does this because the sailors the sailors fear made them chose the choice that had probably been the most dangerous than the other 2 options because it seemed less fearful at the time, compared to sailing through storms or to an island inhabited by so called cannibals. Karen then shows us how fear propels imagination as it forces us to imagine the possible futures and how to cope with them as well.

As I said earlier, this TED Talk really left me pondering, I thought about my own fears and how fearful they are right now but in the long run they're but mere specks compared to some stuff I had never even considered such as; a dependable job and source of income. Because as Karen states “Fear is a way to glimpse what might be the future, when there still is time to influence how that future will play out”. Personally I thought this TED Talk was superb and would highly recommend it to anyone to watch because it can really change the way you look at life.

TED Talk -Karen Thompson Walker - What fear can teach us. Accessed January 16th 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment