Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Who needs a tent for winter camping?

Who Needs a Tent for Winter Camping?


After experiencing winter camp I decided to find and write about an article on quinzhees. This was the first time I have slept in a quinzhee and also the first time I built one. I wasn't quite sure what to be doing all the time so I mostly just shovelled snow.

The article has some very useful information such as, a reasonable desired temperature for inside the quinzhee, helpful tips to keeping warm all night like investing in a winter sleeping bag not just two summer ones and not drinking anything a couple of hours before bed so you don't need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

One very useful piece of information that was given in the article was how to properly build a quinzhee. Before I learned exactly what it was, I just assumed that it would be cold, wet and miserable to sleep in. I learned about how a quinzhee actually works and why we can't dig it out the same day we build the pile of snow.

Overall I found this to be a very informative article and I found that some of this information would have helped before I slept in a quinzhee.

 Macartney,Allen. Who needs a tent for winter camping?.http://www.ottawaoutdoors.ca/articles/camp/517-who-needs-a-tent-for-winter-camping-


No comments:

Post a Comment