Thursday, June 6, 2013

Come Over To The Offside

Come Over To The Offside
As soon as I saw this article by Beth Kennedy I knew I had to read it. During our canoe trip to Palmer Rapids this was the skill I struggled with the most as I attempted to solo some of the waves. This article does a very good job of providing a clear and concise explanation of how to improve your offside stroke. She begins by saying "Do or do not. There is no try" (Yoda), which sets the tone for the article by expressing the hard work and determination required to master the skill. She then suggests a few tips on how to practice and improve your offside. Some of the tips she suggests are: Lean forward and use a sitting-up motion to generate power from your lower body, prevent the paddle from hitting the side of the boat, keep your paddle submerged the whole time and use a slice recovery to bring your paddle forward, and keep your weight low and on your seat. I would give this article 4 stars, and recommend it to anyone interested in improving their solo canoeing skills.

Rapid Magazine: Early summer 2012 edition

No comments:

Post a Comment