Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Puff, Puff, Puff, Good Tinder Makes Good Fires

Puff, Puff, Puff, Good Tinder Makes Good Fires- Craig Macartney **** This article will give you good tips on how to get a nice fire going during the colder and snowy weather. “Puff, Puff, Puff, Good Tinder Makes Good Fires by Craig Macartney explains different ways to get a good fire started even in the wet snow. Bark from old trees is a good place to start, birch bark and cedar bark can make an amazing tinder. Dry or dead cattails are good along with dry pine needles, although they burn out fast so you will be in need of a lot, but not too much or it can kill your flame. If natural tinder does not seem to be working, it is always good to be prepared with stuff from home. A few cotton balls coated in petroleum jelly can do just the trick. Even checking for things in your pack such as hand sanitizer or tissues to start your fire. Overall, I enjoyed this article very much because it gave me many more ideas on how to start a fire. Although I did learn some of these during the survival unit for this class, one thing I never knew was that dry cattails can make good tinder. I’m very happy I read this article because it can help me on later in this course or if I am ever in this situation in life. Macartney, Craig. "Ottawa Outdoors & Travel Magazine." Ottawa Outdoors & Travel Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Nov. 2013. .

1 comment: