Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Chris Hadfield: What I learned from going blind in space

Chris Hadfield: What I learned from going blind in space


Rating: *****

This Ted Talk is a great inspirational speech on how to get over fear.

Chris Hadfield has done probably one of the scariest things anyone could do - he's gone into space on a rocket ship travelling at huge speeds. When he was in space one day, he went out on a spacewalk and went blind because he got some soapy/oil mixture that they use for anti-fog in his eyes. Since he'd already practised hundreds, even thousands of times what to do if something went wrong, he didn't panic. He uses the analogy of if you walk into 100 spider webs and nothing bad happens, you won't be afraid of seeing, or running into a spider web anymore. This is the same for him, as he practised so many different scenarios so many different time that he wasn't afraid when something did go wrong on his spacewalk. Upon his return to earth, he wasn't afraid of the landing because he knew the science behind the landing shuttle, he knew that if a parachute failed, there was an extra one, and he knew that the shock absorbers would keep him from getting injured.

This Ted talk is a great speech that is very thought provoking. It made me wonder why I am scared of some things at all. I'm kind of scared of the water, and on the white water canoeing trip I got scared of going into the rapids after dumping a few times. When I think about it a little more, there was really nothing to be scared about and my fear was pretty irrational. Falling into the water, there was nothing to be scared of since I came out fine each time. This is something we can think of in everyday life, if you think about your fears rationally there really is nothing to be scared of. If you conquer these fears many times, you simply won't be afraid of these things anymore. This talk provoked me to think about all these things regarding fear, and I might try to face some of my fears on a regular basis to be able to not be scared of these things anymore.

I recommend this talk to anyone who hes trouble conquering their fears, as it gives good advice on thinking about the fears logically and facing these fears.

Hadfield, Chris. "Chris HadfieldWhat I learned from going blind in space." Mar 2014, n.d. Web. 10 June 2014. <https://www.ted.com/talks/chris_hadfield_what_i_learned_from_going_blind_in_space>.


No comments:

Post a Comment