Monday, June 9, 2014

Get Hooked On Nature- Ben Klasky Ted Talks Rating: ***** I thought this ted talk was great and sent a very good message that I strongly agree with. This Ted Talk is about getting children out into nature. The speaker uses the slogan “get your kids hooked on nature”. He shows a picture of a cocoon and says “that is a kid” and then shows that cocoon turning into a butterfly and says “that is a kid on nature”. He outlines the “side effects” of nature; less stress/anxiety, better physical health, and better mental health. He tells the story of a young man that was in a high school with a 70% dropout rate but he got the opportunity to get hooked on nature and now he works for national geographic. He then mentions how a child in America today is looking at a screen 7 hours and 40 minutes a day on average. He goes on to say that we can’t stop the electronic age but we can use it in cooperation with nature and find ways to get kids outside using electronics. I think this Ted Talk really expressed a strong and pertinent message about today’s youth. Kids today spend too much time indoors, myself included. I personally try to be outside as much as possible in the summer but in winter I’m indoors as much as I can be. I feel that I really need to take the initiative to enjoy the outdoors in different ways in winter and still be as active as i can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArhjLa4xbNk

No comments:

Post a Comment