Thursday, November 20, 2014

Getting Started Rock Climbing by: Nancy Bouchard

****Excellent

“Getting Started Rock Climbing,” is a well written and informative read about learning to rock climb. There is a lot of detailed information that can give anyone who wants to try rock climbing a bit of insight into the sport.

In this article, Nancy Bouchard begins by establishing the two types of common climbing: indoor sport climbing which can be done in a climbing gym and outdoor rock climbing. Outdoor rock climbing is an outdoor activity and it can be divided into three sections. The first section is bouldering which is when one simply climbs with no rope to a height where they can jump off the rock. The second section being sport climbing which includes rope, quickdraws, shoes, and a chalk bag, and also the third being traditional climbing where the climber places certain objects in the fissures of the rock to avoid falling. Following this explanation the article establishes the climbing route ratings from easiest to hardest and lists basic climbing gear such as harnesses, specific shoes, helmets, carabiners, belay devices, quickdraws and climbing rope. After, Nancy Bouchard explains different terms such as “belaying,” which is method to avoid a climber falling and “Top-roping,” which is when the climber’s rope is anchored from above. The article also explains how to complete a “figure 8,” knot. To conclude the article the author lists of a couple climbing techniques and safety tips such as keeping your heels lower than your toes and seeking professional instruction before one attempting to rock climb.

This article has really opened my eyes and enriched my knowledge about rock climbing. I was not aware that rock climbing was such a complex sport. This article made me think about our class rock climbing trip that is coming up soon. I was glad to have read this article because I was given much insight to prepare and also be able to somewhat predict what will happen on our class trip. After reading this article I learned how to complete a “figure 8,” knot and some great indoor climbing techniques, but also I learned about the different types of rock climbing. I wasn’t aware there were so many types of climbing. This article has sparked my interest in climbing and because of it I really want to rock climb more. I’m very excited about my class’s upcoming trip and I can’t wait to learn more about this incredible sport.  

Rei.com, (2014). Getting Started Rock Climbing. [online] Available at: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/getting-started-rock-climbing.html [Accessed 16 Nov. 2014].


No comments:

Post a Comment