Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Making Fire with a Bow and Drill - Filip Tkaczyk

****- Excellent

This article talks and guides people through the steps of making a fire using the bow and drill technique. This is quite important during a survival situation because fire can do you lots. 

The article 'Making Fire with a Bow and Drill' starts off wit ha short introduction but then gets right into it. Filip lists off the different types of wood that can be used for this fire making technique. Filip then describes step by step the way to make and the uses of the fireboard, the drill, the handhold, the bow and string, the coal catcher and the tinder bundle. He does this descriptively so you can actually from what he has written. After the article talks about the parts required it then moves on to puttng them to use. Filip goes once again step by step through the process of making the fire. He tells you what you should be expecting and the correct way to use all the tools. He then closes with a short note about how you can have a fire after getting the flames with the tinder. 

I find this article very interesting because I really like this method of making fire. It is definitely not as easy as it looks for sounds. We tried this a year or two ago and we didn't get any flames, we just got smoke and a really hot and burnt stick. We ran out of time but I think we could have gotten a fire maybe. This method of making fire has always been my favourite to learn about because it seems fun yet challenging and if i were to be able to make one using this technique I'd feel pretty accomplished about myself. There were a few things i learned about this technique but nothing major. I knew most of what we should be doing to make a fire except for the types of wood. I feel that if we were given another chance to try this again during the survival unit, I would definitely take what was written on this article and put it to action. 

Tkaczyk, Filip. "Bow and Drill Fire Making." Alderleaf Wilderness College. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Nov. 2014. <http://www.wildernesscollege.com/bow-and-drill.html>.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe we should try it again. Great job on the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. Impact Wrench Guides

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here. chiropodists drills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. chiropodists drills

    ReplyDelete