Thursday, December 11, 2014

Safety on the Slopes: Tips to Prevent Skiing and Snowboarding Injuries – Carolyn Pennington


Safety on the Slopes: Tips to Prevent Skiing and Snowboarding Injuries – Carolyn Pennington

Rating: ****

In this article, Carolyn Pennington provides lots of helpful tips and recommendations on how you can prevent skiing and snowboarding injuries. It explains the many different ways you can have an enjoyable but safe ski session.

She starts off by releasing a couple of shocking stats about the number of injuries and deaths there have been annually. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are more than 131,000 skiing-related injuries treated yearly. One tip she provided to prevent this rate of injuries was to start with a couple of slower runs to warm up. Sometimes skiers jump into the extremely steep slopes right away and injure themselves because they were not prepared. Also, skiers should always rest when they are fatigued. Most injuries happen later in the day when skiers push their limits. This is just a glimpse of a few of the useful tips you can find in this article.

I chose this article because skiing is one of my favourite sports in the winter. Most of the time, I jump right into the more challenging slopes even though I haven’t skied all summer. I have never really thought of the injuries that could result from this action. This article was quite eye-opening on how I can better ensure my safety when skiing. It was also very beneficial with numerous ideas on how to achieve this. I will definitely try to follow theses tips in the future when I go skiing. I would strongly recommend this article to skiers and snowboarders because of its valuable advice.

Pennington, Carolyn. Tips to Prevent Skiing and Snowboarding Injuries, 2014. [online] http://today.uchc.edu/features/2010/jan10/skiing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment