Friday, January 9, 2015

Get hooked on nature - Ben Klasky

Get hooked on nature
by Ben Klasky
a TEDxTalk

****

In his speech, Ben Klasky is talking about the important part that nature plays in our and especially children's lives.
He opens his TEDtalk with the argument that the outdoors are a medicine that can “solve some of the toughest physical health problems of today” and he underlines their positive effects on everyone. During his speech he clarifies, how dramatically the rate of the time that children spend outside, has dropped and how that affects their health. Even prisoners spend more time outside then the children from today. He then mentions several interesting examples, which are all pointing out that children go through very positive changes while confronted with nature. He tells about one of the kids he took outside of the city, who had gone through a “really hard time” and who had build a barrier to protect herself and wasn’t talking at all. He tells how this girl is so fascinated by seeing a deer, that she completely falls out of her shell and starts talking.
With his motivational speech Ben Klasky reminded me how important it is to get outside.
A fact that I almost forgot myself since technology is taking over the world.
When I was younger I used to spend a lot of my time playing in the forest with my friend all the time, rather than doing homework or watching TV. Later I prefered staying inside watching TV, instead of going on a hike with my parents. Now I regret that, because I feel like I wasted  time. Still, I spend a lot of my time sitting in front of a computer, doing homework or surfing on social media, but Ben Klaskys Tedtalk made me realize that I really need to spend more of that time outside. I can only recommend watching this, especially for parents who feel like their kid is spending too much time inside.


“Get hooked on nature”-Ben Klasky, 9th Nov 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArhjLa4xbNk

No comments:

Post a Comment