Thursday, January 8, 2015

Why Bother Leaving the House - By Ben Saunders

Rating ****

          This TED talk describes how we should try to experience things rather then to watch and to wonder. Ben Saunders talks about his own experience going out into the world. He talked about when he skied across the North Pole. He started in Russia and was going to go all the way to northern Canada. He said it was a challenge but he felt that going on this polar expedition helped him see the potential that life can offer. If you never take a risk, you will never experience life at its greatest.

           Ben also talks about how there is something in man that responds to a challenge. He himself still has a challenge he wishes to accomplish, which is to walk from the coast of Antarctica to the South Pole and back. No one has ever accomplished this endeavor yet he plans to do it. This talk was mainly about how real inspiration and growth come from experience rather than to be a spectator. It describes how people should step out of their comfort zone and try something new.

            This TED talk has inspired me to take more risks and challenges. It made me think about how I should try to experience life more. I should not always be "plugged in". I should go out and experience things more instead of standing back and watching. It also made me think I should set goals. I have always wanted to travel and go backpacking so maybe I should start setting goals so I can get there.

 

Saunders, B. (2015). Why bother leaving the house?. [online] Ted.com. Available at: http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_saunders_why_bother_leaving_the_house#t-617808 [Accessed 8 Jan. 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment