Thursday, February 26, 2015

Technique and Training: a cross-country skiing article

Technique and Training – Steve Hindman
Rating – **** Excellent
This guide to cross-country skiing is both useful and descriptive, offering a deep understanding of the techniques that make skiing through fresh snow, back-country skiing, or simply skiing without a trail a more enjoyable experience.
Hindman compiles a list of multiple techniques that can be used to help one ski through un-groomed trails and paths. Mainly an instructional piece, it offers not only descriptions of the skills required, but also offers pictures and descriptions of why and where one might use these techniques when faced with specific challenges in skiing conditions, equipment and preparation.
From the perspective of someone who has been skiing for many years, it is sometimes difficult to attempt the ski through deep snow or difficult conditions without a clearly groomed trail. It is nice to see that there is a way to make it easier to ski through these conditions with the least difficulty possible. Reading Hindman’s article gave me some insight and also made me reflect on my own technique when skiing off the trail. I have learned (and taken note of) which techniques I believe will benefit me the most, such as the “falling forward” technique which allows for less energy to be expended by the skier for the same result. This article has a direct effect on my life as I coach classic skiing and often like to take my young skiers into deep snow to get used to the effect it has on their skiing.
I would strongly recommend this article not only to beginners, but even to avid cross-country skiers, as it not only teaches you an easier method of cross-country skiing through tough conditions, but makes you reflect on your own techniques and how to self-improve.
-Hindman, Steve. 'December 2011'. Cross Country Skier Magazine. N.p., 2015. Web. 23 Feb. 2015.

1 comment: