Friday, June 12, 2015

Ted Talk: Ben Saunders - To the South Pole and back, the hardest 105 days of my life

Rating: *****
I gave this ted talk a five star rating because it is an amazing journey and can teach us a lot.

Last year, explorer Ben Saunders and his partner attempted their most ambitious trip ever. He set out to complete Captain Robert Falcon Scott’s failed 1912 polar mission. A four-month, 1,800-mile round trip journey from the edge of Antarctica to the South Pole and back. The equivalent of 69 marathons. Breaking the record for longest human powered polar expedition and beating the previous record by 400 miles. He was also the first of 9 people to complete this mission. Ben Completed the trip while pulling sleds that had all of their equipment each sled weighing over 200 kilos. For some parts of the trip the temperature reached -70 Degrees celsius with windchill. Soon after Ben reached the south pole and turned around, he got hypothermia and also ran out of food. Ben didn't give up but decided to call in a plane with extra food. The problems continued, the spikes on ben's shoes broke with still 100 miles remaining a lot of it being down steep slippery hills. But he continued, having to repair his shoes almost every hour. Ben tells us that the lesson he learned from this trip is that happiness is not a finish line and that perfection may not ever truly be attainable. This amazing story shows that we can do anything with the right amount of grit and determination.

This Ted talk affects me a lot because it shows how with determination anyone can achieve their dreams. It also shows how you should never give up even in the toughest situations. This story makes me think that you should never give up even when all of the odds are against you. I have learned that the human body is really almost capable of anything. It inspires me to strive to do my best and try to complete my dreams. This Ted talk may change the way i behave in the sense that I am going to push myself to my full potential and see I am really physically and mentally capable of.

Saunders, Ben. 'To The South Pole And Back — The Hardest 105 Days Of My Life'. Ted.com. N.p., 2015. Web. 13 June 2015.




No comments:

Post a Comment