Thursday, November 25, 2010

Think you'd survive? Characteristics of successful survivors by Randy Gerke

Not everyone has what it takes to survive in a life or death situations. This article, however, can help you determine whether or not you are one of those people that would survive. Some of the traits of a true survivor are having knowledge about the environment and survival techniques, being emotionally stable, being physically healthy, having confidence, etc. There is one characteristic that is by far the most important of them all, and that is the will to live followed closely by having a positive attitude. Without that, the chance of survival is minuscule.
One way to keep a positive attitude is to keep busy. Set obtainable goals for yourself and your mind will be on the goals instead of being envelopped in negative thought. Another way is to be determined. Have something in mind to fight for to get yourself through each day. In order to survive, you must have positive thoughts to believe you can survive.
I can relate to this article because of the canoe trip this fall. Although it wasn't a life or death situation, I needed something to get me through some of the portages. One of the days, I was really pessemistic about things and I was almost falling over because I was so tired and done with that day. The next day, on the longest portage, I tried to be optimistic and focused all my energy on being that way. I also tried to encourage other people too which in turn helped my optimism. In the end, having a positive attitude really did help.

Ottawa Outdoors Magazine (Fall/Winter 2009/2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment