Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Deconstructing Fear by Dominique Larocque

Rating: ***

Conquering your fears isn’t easy; however it can make a difference in how you perform.

This article explains how success, in no matter what sport, can become difficult if one is too absorbed by their fears. It explains how athletes often seem unable to change the mindset they posses, that keeps them from not worrying. By maintaining a mindset such as this can cause these worries to get in the way of performance and it becomes more difficult to succeed.

I really learnt a lot from this article, because I could easily compare myself to these athletes. When I perform, as a figure skater, I can tell from practice to practice how my mindset and attitude affects my skating. Once I realized this, I was shocked to learn that most of my sport is thought process. I know that if I step on to the ice with fear of falling, fear of failure, or fear of disappointment, I will have a difficult and unproductive training session. On the contrary, when I believe in my self, and maintain a positive attitude, I can feel myself improving. This is productive, and in the end, this is more enjoyable.

Fear isn’t hard to overcome, but once you figure out how to handle it, it makes a world of difference.

I would recommend this article to anyone who wants to overcome fear, as an athlete, or as an individual.

“Deconstructing Fear” Ottawa Outdoors Magazine summer/fall 2009: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment