Sunday, May 29, 2011

How Things Begin-- J.B. Mackinnon

Rating: ***

Yosemite National Park is famed as incredibly beautiful, and includes many climbing attractions. J.B. Mackinnon had been thinking of going to Yosemite for 23 years, and he finally decided to go and climb the famous El Capitan. He realizes that Yosemite has lost its original glory with tourist traps, its urban feel and technology. J.B. and his climbing partner, Jill, ended up leaving Yosemite without climbing El Capitan, but they planned to return to conquer the famous cliff.

I wanted to read this article because I went to Yosemite last summer and I absolutely loved it. I wanted to see what the author had to say about the park. I recognized many of the places that Mackinnon mentioned and I do agree with him about the urbanization of Yosemite. Everything there is very expensive and I would never consider it camping. The article made me think about how even the most pristine areas of the world, including Yosemite and other national parks, are being affected by the growing populations, technology and pollution.

Mackinnon, J.B. "How Things Begin". Explore Magazine. March/April 2009. Pages 25-26, 28. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment