Saturday, June 4, 2011

Orienteering-How not to get lost in the great outdoors

Rating ***

This title definitely caught my eye after participating in Mr. Brouwer's orienteering trip last week. This was my favorite outdoor article read so far, not because of the way it was written, but because it recapped on a lot of what I learnt about orienteering in class this year.
To start off, the author, Richard Edwards, describes his love of camping, and traveling by RV, which I've experienced and loved also. He continued by saying ''there is a way to fulfill your adventurous desires and know exactly where you are.'' It is, of course, orienteering.
Edwards explains that orienteering is the ability to read a topographical map and use an orienteering compass.
Just like in class, the author explains how to use the compass. I really liked reading this part because I was able to know exactly what he was talking about (examples: the housing and magnetic north).
He describes the importance of a reference point and making notes when you change directions (two things that would have been beneficial for me at the orienteering meet).
Next, Edwards teaches readers how to use topographical (or topo) maps. I know how to read this type of map and was pleased to understand his explanaion. He wrote about contour lines, the colour coding, and elevation on the map, all of which I learnt to identify this year.
He concluded by stressing the importance of telling people where you are when you leave on a trip. He said as an emergency plan you can leave a map at home so people will know where you're planning on traveling. He also sai that laminating the map will make it weather-proof, which is something I noticed Mr. Brouwer did on our hiking trip.
I really enjoyed this article because it brought back memories of my outdoor ed trips. With little time left in the school year, I was happy to read this.

Edwards, Richard Thomas/Orienteering-How to not get lost in the great outdoors/May-June, 1990/June 4, 2011/web/http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_n3_v8/ai_8478114/

No comments:

Post a Comment