Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Canoe Portage Courtesy – Being Considerate of Others on Portage Routes by Laurie March

Rating: **

This article is short and to the point. In the article, the author is trying to show all paddlers some portaging courtesy. She wrote this article after she noticed a large lack of courtesy on a crowded portage trail during a trip. She lists very important things that should be done whenever you are portaging. Someone who is portaging a canoe has the right of way. Anyone without a canoe should move out of their way. Do not leave garbage on the trail. If you see garbage, pack it out. If a put in or take out is crowded, be patient and wait your turn. Also, do not block the put in, take out, or trail with your gear. Be efficient and don’t waste your time. Keep to the trail to minimize your impact on plant life. These simple courtesies can make a paddlers life much easier.

Reading this article showed me some helpful tips that could help me be more respectful of other paddlers while I am on a trip. I was unaware of these courtesies before reading this article. Until this point, I hadn’t considered the other paddlers on the trail. I now realize that I need to be more aware of others on the trail. From now on, I will be more courteous.

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/canoeing-portages.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment