Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cretaceous creations

Cretaceous creations ****
by Dane Lanken

This article is about a photographer named Sinforoso Resultay who found a new form of art in the form of dinosaur bones. Resultay used a mineral identification experiment on the bones of dinosaurs to determine the fossil process and the structure of the bones themselves. He illuminated tiny fragments of dinosaur bones with polarized light, magnified them with a microscope, then took pictures and found that the bones made different colours and patterns. He took this up as a hobby because he liked the patterns he saw and thinks it's a "new kind of art."

I learned that scientists use this illumination technique on minerals to identify what substance it is and many of its other properties, but also that things aren't always as they seem. If someone had told me that if you took a tiny piece of dinosaur bone, shine some special light through it then looked at it under a microscope that I'd see a bunch of colours that look like artwork I would have told them they're crazy. I think it's really interesting what secrets mother nature hides from us and I hope to find out some more of them.

I think this article is worth reading, because it is showing the beauty of nature where you'd least expect it. I was intrigued by the bright swirling patterns pictured in this article, and amazed at how something like the pictures occured naturally. It's an interesting article and I recommend it to pretty much anyone interested in the outdoors, but especially people who are artistic or are interested in dinosaurs.

Lanken, Dave, "Cretaceous creations" Canadian Geographic. September/October 1996, pages 68-72.

No comments:

Post a Comment