Sunday, November 11, 2012

How to hit the trail, Running

HOW TO HIT THE TRAIL, RUNNING

Rating: ****
John Klich

The article was about, like the title suggests, how to trail run. It talks about different techniques when you run through trails and the comparison of track or road running to all terrain and trail running. I found it inspiring and quite frankly would love to trail run myself. I do have some experience thanks to my orienteering adventures in Greens Creek and the area around Cairine.

Like I said earlier the article speaks of different techniques to move around the forest and comparisons to other styles of running. It mainly was talking about how to run a trail and how to pace yourself as well as the need to adapt your speed and the trail difficulty to your experience, age, fitness, level.... whatever it may be. The article suggested that you should always run for a certain time limit, rather than a specific distance. Personally I don't really agree because I find that if ever I'm tired I can always push myself harder to complete my goal and be able to rest even sooner. The article also talked about that if you are approaching a more technical or difficult area, that you should pause and, in a way, analyze the path. Come up with a plan of attack and how you're going to place your feet in order to continue running unscathed and without injury. Speaking of injury, it is not much of a surprise that trail running is much more injury prone and more dangerous than any other running that I know about. If you take one wrong step or slip just a bit, you could end up face first going down a hill, with roots and all. So in other words, be careful. It's probably one of the best ways to get a sprained or even broken ankle.

The article was actually quite inspiring and made me want to leave my house and start running through the trails. Although, now that I've read the article I now understand what some of these activities might look like through my parents' eyes. It can be very very dangerous. Like I previously stated, one wrong move really could lead to a series of major injuries. It is quite intimidating. However, my childhood self still wins over, and I still look at the advantages of bounding down a steep hill bouncing off rocks and leaping over roots. To me it sounds just like orienteering, only this time there is only one point to get to -- the finish line.

Cameron McLean

Citation:
Written by: John Klich, Ottawa Outdoors (ottawaoutdoors.ca) Online article.

http://ottawaoutdoors.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=247%3Ahow-to-hit-the-trail-running&catid=35%3Aadventure-articles&Itemid=63

John Klich is the southern Ontario race director for the 5Peaks Trail Running Series and an advanced care paramedic with Toronto’s emergency medical services.

Email:john@5peaks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment