Friday, April 12, 2013

Article 2

Tarps to the Rescue – Craig Macartney

Rating: ***

Tarps to the Rescue is a helpful article on the importance of bringing a tarp on outdoor trips because in a survival situation, a tarp could mean the difference between life and death. However, most commonly, a tarp is used as protection from rain and the cold.

The article gives great advice on how to make different shelters with your tarp based on your surroundings and the items that you may have with you. Most of the shelters that are discussed seem fairly easy to make and they mostly use trees and rope, or a canoe if you have one. As well, it talks about where to build your shelter and what size to make it, for example it is best to build it on higher grounds to stay drier and the smaller the shelter is, the warmer you will be.

Overall, I found this article quite useful. I personally really enjoy camping and know that the weather is always unpredictable. This article has taught me to create my own shelters with a tarp and if, while camping I am ever in need of a shelter, I will know how to keep myself safe and warm.

Macartney, Craig. “Tarps to the Rescue”. Ottawa Outdoors . 2011. Page 13. <http://issuu.com/ottawaoutdoors>. Web. April 12 2013.  

No comments:

Post a Comment