Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ben Saunders: Why bother leaving the house? - Ally Baker

rating: *****/*****

      As generations change and life moves on times are changing. There was a point in time where the only way to play hockey would be to go outside and physically play and as technology advances you can simply turn on the Xbox and play while sitting on the couch. If you want to figure out how old the Statue of Liberty is you can figure out the answer without even standing up. Although this is what seems normal to us now a days, does life have to be this way?

     Ben Saunders who has the job title of Polar Explorer discusses the statement of why bother leaving the house. Saunders speaks of his adventures "I [am] the only one to see it, I was the only human being in 5.4 million square miles. That makes me want to leave my house." Saunders believes that as the generations are moving forward humanity is moving backward. "We don't enjoy life so that we can eat and make money, we make money and eat so that we can enjoy our lives" This quote by Saunders explains his vision of the world. If all humanity is doing is eating and making money what kind of a life is that? Its the experiences that we have in life that create memories and stories.

    This TED talks video effected me very much so. All of the things that Ben Saunders was saying were true. When I am curious about something I just simply pull out my phone or lap top and search is up but its strange to think that at some point not too far back I would have to physically find out that information for my self. Saunders inspired me by allowing me to realize that just because technology advances it doesn't mean that humanity has to become potatoes. Ben Saunders is an inspiration to me.

"Ben Saunders: Why bother leaving the house?" Youtube.  Web. 14 December 2012.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent TED Talk (added it to our list) and great review. No feedback needed.

    ReplyDelete