Thursday, January 9, 2014

How to plan a successful canoe trip

Rating ****
(out of 5 stars)
Cameron McLean
December 10th 2013

        The article explains the “do’s and don’t’s”of planning a canoe trip. The author, Derren Bush, is clearly quite experienced and gives short stories and anecdotes about his personal experiences with different situations. He explains what should be taken into consideration, how to plan a route, who to bring and what you should be doing on the actual trip. It’s fairly long and remains informative, clever and funny throughout the article.

        I chose the article for an actual learning experience. I plan to do trips with friends and continue to remain active and enjoy the wilderness long after outdoor ed finishes. This article helped me see what the task would be like, to plan what you do everyday (yes, you Mr.Brouwer). The task is slightly underrated, it does seem like more work than I would have expected. And is definitely no easy task, but I know it will be well worth it in the end. Although I have been inspired to do more research and examine my options so this trip becomes more than just and idea.

        I've grown up with Canoe Camping and I know many others that have been doing it for many years. Especially during the trips with our Outdoor Ed class I can understand why it's so much fun. I really hope I can get a group of well informed and good friends to make this, dream, a possibility. And this article definitely brought that idea closer to a reality.

Citations
Bush, Darren. "How to Plan a (Successful) Canoe Trip." The Art of Manliness RSS. N.p., 16 June 2011. Web. 9 Jan. 2014. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/06/16/how-to-plan-a-canoe-trip

1 comment:

  1. Good review and I hope you do start organizing your own trips.

    ReplyDelete