Monday, February 24, 2014

How to start a fire in the rain


How to Start a Fire in the Rain

-Cliff Jacobson

**** Very useful!

One of the most important skills while being in the outdoors is the ability to make a fire. An even more important skill is being able to make a fire while in rainy or damp weather.

This article starts off by making you aware of how important the ability to make a fire in rainy or damp weather is. When you set off on a hiking or canoe trip you can check the weather before leaving but the weather can change fast and you can’t control it. It explains basic and simple instructions to guide you through the process but also says that all you need is a lighter/matches, saw and a pocket knife to make the task easier.

Before reading this article I hadn’t truly thought of how difficult it would be to try to make a fire in rainy or damp weather. It made me realize that the weather won’t always be favorable and that when in the outdoors you have to deal with it. After reading this article I’ve learned how to make a fire in rainy or damp weather and can now apply it to my own trips/experiences if I’m ever caught in those conditions. It has inspired me to make sure I’m fully prepared for any situation before I set out on any outdoor trips. You can’t control the weather, but you can control how you deal with it.

Jacobson, Cliff. "How to Start a Fire in the Rain." (n.d.): n. pag. Web. Feb. 2011. <http://scoutingmagazine.org/2011/01/ground-rules-rainy-day-wisdom/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment