Tuesday, June 17, 2014

                                            Poisonous Mushrooms

By Paul Cipriani

Rating - **** Very Good

Mushrooms are a great and easy way to get a nutritious and delicious meal. The only problem is that some mushroom collectors don’t take the proper precautions before they place a ‘supposedly’ non-poisonous mushroom into their basket. This article tells you about the different types of poisons in mushrooms.

The article tells you that there are four main types of poisons in mushrooms. The least severe of the group, is a type of poison that only reacts with the body if the person also ingest alcohol into their system. The third most dangerous (and most common) type of poisonous mushrooms causes gastrointestinal irritations, including diarrhea and vomiting. The second poison on our list is attacks the nervous system, which can cause more serious symptoms including extensive diarrhea, vomiting, which results in dehydration. This type of nerve poisoning can be fatal. The most dangerous type of poisons found in mushrooms is the ones that attack the cells. This toxin eats away the cell membranes and can severely damage vital organs, and can even kill red blood cells. The reason this toxin is so dangerous is because symptoms will only start appearing 6 to 48 hours after ingestion, by which time, the organs will be too severely damaged to survive.

From this article, I learned that mushrooms can be very dangerous and even deadly if not inspected properly. I also learned that symptoms of food poisoning can take up to two days to develop, by which time too much damage may be done to your body. I think it is extremely important to keep a reliable information source with you if you go mushroom collecting into the wilderness. If you get the right mushrooms, you are guaranteed to have a great dinner!

Paul Cipriani “Poisonous Mushrooms” Natureskills.com, October 31st, 2013, accessed on July 14th, 2014.  http://www.natureskills.com/outdoor-safety/poisonous-mushrooms/