Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Clothing Layers for Winter Sports by: Aurora LaJambre

****very good

Clothing Layers for Winter Sports is a fantastic read if you’re looking to participate in any winter sports this season. Contrary to popular belief, dressing for winter sports isn't a simple task and this article does a great job at explaining this and also how to dress for the cold temperatures.

Throughout the article, Aurora LaJambre explains how important it is to dress in layers and prepare for the harsh climate. The article discusses the different layers needed. The outer layer should be a thin wind and weather resistant layer, but it is not meant for warmth. The mid layer should be thick (ex. fleece materials) to resist weather conditions and should help preserve your warmth. The next layer is the inner layer which should serve as a wicking layer is to wick sweat and any extra moisture. This layer is used to keep the body dry and therefore avoid getting sick from the cold. To finish off the article the author gives tips about buying clothes for the inner layer. For example base layer shirts with turtle necks will better protect your neck.

This article really opened my eyes when it comes to dressing for winter activities. It made me realize and think about how I wasn't dressing properly for skiing, tubing, tobogganing or any of my winter sports. In this article, I learned that the outer layer shouldn't be used for warmth but for protection against the wind and weather, and that it’s the mid layer that should be used to conserve body heat. It also made me think about how this year, for Outdoor Ed, I'm going to have to change my layering for our activities in the winter, in order to avoid getting sick and most importantly, staying warm. I'm also going to have to invest in some better quality clothing if I want stay warm and properly layer my clothing. I'm very glad I read this article because I learned a lot of great tips that will help me dress properly in the future.

Catalogs.com, (2014). Layers For Winter Sports. (online) http://www.catalogs.com/info/outdoor/layers-for-winter-sports.html (Accessed 27 Oct. 2014).  



1 comment: