This article is about the reality of wildlife and the possibilities that can occur in the wilderness. The article gives several examples of fatal attacks that have happened with cougars, as well as gives tips on how to prevent attracting wildlife.
After reading this article, I have learnt nothing. Most, if not all of the tips stated were common sense.
- Avoidance is the best defense.
- Keep a clean camp.
- Do not take food into a tent.
- Do not sleep in the same clothes you cooked dinner in.
- Remove pet food from the area.
- Never feed wild animals such as deer, raccoons or squirrels.
- If possible, keep a weapon nearby for defense.
These tips will reduce the chances of you being mauled by a wild animal.
This article relates to this course because later on this year while on the canoe trip we will be using these techniques to prevent animal attacks or animals from eating our food.
I would rate this article 4**** out of 5 ***** because it has useful tips and is relatable to the things we will be doing later on in this course such as the canoe trip.
Johnson, Rich. "How to Survive Wild Animal Attacks." Outdoor Life. Feb. 2010. Web. 12 Mar. 2015. <http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2010/02/how-survive-wild-animal-attacks>.